More Alternative Dispute Resolution
This sections contains information and links about still more ways to resolve disputes.
Collaborative Practice - Collaborative Practice is a consensual dispute resolution process in which parties settle legal conflicts without litigation.
Peer Mediation - Peer mediation is a quick and efficient way to resolve disputes. It allows students the opportunity to solve their own problems by encouraging effective solutions.
- Circle Sentencing - Unlike a traditional sentencing in which a judge hears from the prosecutor and the defense lawyer in a courtroom, then sentences the defendant, participants in circle sentencing meet outside the courtroom and literally sit in a circle.
- Criminal Mediation - Plea bargaining done well revisits the past relationship between all stakeholders
so as to manage the present relationship in order to structure an appropriate
- Victim Offender Conferencing - The first court-connected victim-offender conferencing program in Alabama was begun by Judge Tracy McCooey at the circuit court in Montgomery County.
- More on Restorative Justice - Websites with more information about restorative justice
- Portraits of Restorative Justice - A video.
State Agency ADR - The Alabama State Agency ADR Support Group was formed to carry on the work of the Governor's Task Force on State Agency ADR when it completed its mission and gave its final report to the governor in the fall of 2002.
More ADR Home
State Agency ADR
The Alabama Private Judge Act authorized the appointment of former or retired judges to serve as private judges in certain district and circuit court cases. - More -
Arbitration agreements, are often found in pre-printed consumer contracts. They require parties to the contract to resolve disputes in binding arbitration, rather than in court before a judge and/or jury. - More -
Mediation is a confidential, informal process during which an impartial third party, the mediator, assists disputing parties in reaching a mutually acceptable agreement regarding their dispute.
- General Mediation offers a path to resolving many disputes. - More -
- Family Mediation offers free divorce and family mediation for parenting, divorce and post-divorce issues. - More -
- Forclosure Prevention and Mortgage Modification Mediation offers specially-trained mediators to assist Alabama citizens with foreclosure and mortgage problems by mediating between the homeowner and the mortgage holder. - More -
Keeping your Information Safe
In keeping with industry standards, we have implemented a Secure Certificate on our website. You may see a lock symbol, a green color or the https:// protocol in the address bar. These indicate that you are accessing the real ACDR website and that the website encrypts transmitted data additional protection.